A new day at work

"You never really remember the beginning of a dream, do you? You always wind up right in the middle of what's going on. So how did we end up here?," asks Cobb in Inception. This came to my mind at our goodbye-dinner as we tried to remember how we ended up together. In forging connections, there is no turning-point, is there? First there's nothing and then suddenly you feel a connection. I'm talking about my three favorite people in the office. They all resigned this week to pursue other opportunities.

On my very first day at this job, the team took me to lunch at an Indian place. It was a nice gesture. Talking about food is a good icebreaker. The next day, I thought that I am on my own. But then this German guy came asking if I want to join him for lunch and it became an every day thing. Half a year later, another guy from India started work at the office. Probably he also thought that he was on his own. But then there we were, asking him if he wanted to join for lunch. The fourth one entered this circle quite late and we are not sure how. But given that we all relished goofiness, it was only a matter of time. Work interspersed with banter made the day so much less tiresome and something to eagerly look forward to. They were also the only people who could bear (and sometimes laugh at) my stupid jokes. With them, I could be "me" at work.

So I was sad to learn that all of them would leave around the same time. The last guy left today and it truly dawned upon me that starting tomorrow, I am on my own. No more craziness, no more gossiping. Go to the office, keep a straight face, work, eat, work, come back. I am exaggerating, of course. There are other cool people in my office. But I have to start from the beginning, right?

"Never recreate places from your memories. Always imagine new places," Cobb says.

Comments

Popular Posts